It has been a very busy weekend! I like busy. Even with all of the busy busy, I have had some time to reflect on my choice of going Paleo and how this choice affects the rest of my life. Specifically how do I balance the 80/20 or in my case the 95/5?
Numbers! Why am I throwing numbers at you? Well, many of you from the Paleo world know this already, but for those who do not…it essentially means you eat Paleo 80 percent of the time with 20 percent leeway. I aim for 95 percent Paleo and 5 percent leeway. That 5 percent is in my everyday chocolate treat. While surfing Facebook I read an article about how ridigty in our health conscious quests can lead to poorer health and unhappiness. It struck a cord with me. I have often found myself in this rigid cycle for years with many different diets and lifestyle changes.
I went out for dinner with my sis in law on Friday night. I was looking at the menu and it all looked amazing but nothing Paleo. There I was, sitting in a funky, upbeat, new end of town restaurant with my fab sis in law, having wine and great conversation. We have always bonded on our love of food. So, I decided the evening was going to be all about that 5 percent. And you know what? It was one of the best evenings I have had in a long time. Laughs, rants, over-shares and most importantly, connection. Sharing the amazing food and wine with her helped put into perspective of what life is really about. Connection. Yes, I will continue to eat my 95 percent Paleo/primal diet but to always allow space for that 5 percent where true connection, fun and delectable enjoyment come together.
On another note! We bought a 1/4 cow and 1/2 of a pig! They are grass feed and organic. We have SO much meat! It is ridiculous, but I am very excited about supporting local BC farmers, especially those who are organic and utilizing Paleo/old way practices of farming. I have meatballs slow cooking away currently. More on that later.
Sunday’s are always good food days. Comfort food days. Morning coffee and baked goods, Sunday brunch (at home) followed by a snack out (ceased salad and yam fries) and a yummy dinner. Which brings me to today post. My darling bestie gave me this recipe and I used the pizza crust from Preppy Paleo (which is the most amazing crust ever. I seriously prefer this over gluten any day! And love her site!). I made a few flavour modifications. So. Pizza + Walking Dead Finale+Z. Perfect end to a fabulous weekend.
Prosciutto, Arugula and Ricotta Pizza.
For the Crust:
1 cup of arrowroot powder
1/3 cup of coconut flour
1 tsp of both onion and garlic powder
1 tsp of italian seasoning
1/2 cup of warm water
1/2 cup of olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Have ready a pizza pan or cookie sheet with a piece of parchment on it and one ready for rolling.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together. Then add your warm water, olive oil and egg.
3. Stir it all together. It will be sticky and somewhat goopy. Bring it together into a ball.
4. Place dough ball in the middle of the parchment paper on the cookie sheet. Put another piece of parchment paper on top and roll the dough out with a rolling pin. I like my crust really thin, so I rolled it out to 1/2 cm thick.
5. Toss in the oven for 12 minutes.
For the Pizza:
1 Tbsp of chopped fresh rosemary
4 Tbsp of olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
1 cup of mozza cheese
3 slices of prosciutto
4 cups of argula
1. Mix chopped rosemary and olive oil together. Add salt and pepper. Brush all over pre baked crust.
2. Spread ricotta cheese all over pizza. Sprinkle mozza all over too. Bake in the oven for 6 minutes.
3. Place prosciutto on pizza.
4. Top with arugula and put freshly ground pepper and parmesan on top.
5. Then….nom nom nom!