There are many indulgences that I miss since going Paleo. I love the smell and texture of fresh baked bread. You can just smell the gluten and yeast dancing away to make the bread rise to the heavens. I love doughnuts, when you see the gooiness just dripping down from the shelves where they are piled by the dozen. Although these are some of my favourite things, there are times when you just have plain old habits, i.e. Starbucks Blueberry Bars. I would be walking around, get hungry, and stop at a Starbucks (because there is one on every corner, on every block, I am clearly their market) and inevitably chose that blueberry bar. Not just for the low calorie count, but also because I love blueberry anything. Now with this habit finally turfed, why not make a Paleo version, so I did…
2 cups of walnuts,
1 cup of pecans
Pulse in a food processor until you have a fine meal
This makes a mason jar full of jam
4 cups of frozen berries
1 cup of fresh blueberries
1 tbsp of cinnamon
½ cup of honey
1 cup of nut mixture
2 tbsp of coconut flour
1 tsp of cinnamon
Remainder of nut mixture
2 tbsp of palm sugar
2/3 cups of shredded, unsweetened coconut
2 tbsp of tapioca flour
1 tsp of cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
4 heaping tbsp. of solid coconut oil
For the jam:
Put all of the ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
Once it boils, turn it down to low heat and simmer for 2 hours. It should be nice and thick at this point. You can make this jam anytime and have it ready for your bars when you want to cook them.
For the bars:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 9-inch baking pan and line with parchment paper
- Make nut mixture
- Make the crust. Add coconut flour and cinnamon to nut mixture, stir and ensure there are no lumps. Then add in your eggs and honey. Mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes
- While crust is baking, take all the topping ingredients, except for the coconut oil and mix together. Then add the coconut oil and mix into clumps with your hands. It can be messy but it works better with your hands.
- Once the crust is done baking, let cool for 10 mins. Add the jam and spread all over the crust. Then pour the topping on and spread evenly.
- Back for 20 minutes.
- Once done, let cool for 30 minutes and then put in the fridge for at least an hour.